[Sussex] Grub problem?

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Fri May 13 09:12:29 UTC 2005

Hi list,

Had a few small(ish) snags post re-installing gentoo the other day. The
main one, I might have managed to sort out.

Anyhow, when I did my emerge -uD world, one of the things it
updated/upgraded was a new kernel version. So I did my usual, and
following the instructions in the Gentoo kernel upgrade guide, did the
upgrade. Which is now "sitting alongside" the old version.

The problem is actually twofold.

Firstly, when I boot the system, the grub "screen" i.e. the one that
offers OS choice won't start or it looks really hideously corrupted and
virtually unreadable.

But then when it starts to boot the original kernel, it boot fine.

If I try and boot the newer kernel version, it gives me a vvv corrupted
screen as says something about invalid modes and offers a "return" to see
different video modes (1 thru 9, plus a or "scan"). From here, it doesn't
matter what I do, if it starts the boot sequence, it gets so far and then
"errors" telling me that it doesn't recognise the root partition or that
I've supplied and invalid block device.

This I don't understand, because the entries I have in the grub.conf,
apart from the titles of the kernel/initrd version, are the same.

default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0) /grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r8
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192
real_root=/dev/hda3 udev vga=0x317 splash=verbose
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r8

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.11-r3
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192
real_root=/dev/hda3 udev vga=0x317 splash=verbose
initrd /initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r3

I did try doing grub-install /dev/hda again, but to no affect.

Perhaps someone could advise me on this ?

regards

John D.