[Sussex] Hardware Help

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Fri May 13 09:19:15 UTC 2005

Steve Dobson wrote:

> The PVR-350 (and PVR-250 according to the e-mail) rate at a max of
> 13 Watts.  I make that a total of 78 Watts total which is well within
> the 160 Watts available.  I've have now run the system of a few hours
> (at ideal, but with all four disks powered) and the PSU doesn't even get
> warm to the touch.

That's good.

> The CPU has a fan (35mm dia) on top of the cooling veins. While it is
> very close to the top of the 1U rack-mount case (no more than 2mm) there
> is a vent in the case lid which will all the fan to vent.  The rack-mount
> case has a cooling duct two 35mm fans that vent to the rear of the
> rack-mount, but one of the fans is next to the CPU cooling veins and would
> be drawing air across the cooling surface.

I think you will find you have the CPU fan airflow direction reversed. They
normally suck air in from the top and force it down into the heatsink fins
and then out the sides.

>   1). Remove the cooling duct

Not a good idea

>   2). Cut two holes in the cooling duct to run the power wires.

If you make the holes small enough and fit grommets or otherwise protect the
wires from the metal edges this should be good. How much will the wires
restrict the airflow in the duct?

>       This will result in one fan drawing air from
>       the top of the CPU cooling veins and other trying to draw
>       air from the left to the right.

Not if my thoughts on Heatsink airflow direction are correct

>   3). Remove the CPU fan (no not to have the odd airflow) and just
>       rely on the fan in the duct

A very BAD idea.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

"Waiter, there's no fly in my soup!" -- Kermit the frog