[Sussex] Hardware Help

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri May 13 08:47:46 UTC 2005

Colin (any all)

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:54:37PM +0100, Colin Tuckley wrote:
> Steve Dobson wrote:
> > The processor is supplied with the motherboard.
>
> Ah, you have the C3 series processor then.
>
> >>That comes to about 80 Watts,
>
> So it's actually 65W instead of 80W
>
> >> however the PVR 350 is a power hungry monster
>
> > I still can't find power ratings for the PVR-350.  Do you know what the
> > max power draw of the PCI is?

The PVR-350 (and PVR-250 according to the e-mail) rate at a max of
13 Watts.  I make that a total of 78 Watts total which is well within
the 160 Watts available.  I've have now run the system of a few hours
(at ideal, but with all four disks powered) and the PSU doesn't even get
warm to the touch.

Now to make the custom power connector extension.  I now rather like
the idea as I can get the wiring to fit the path better.  I now have
another choice to make.

The CPU has a fan (35mm dia) on top of the cooling veins. While it is
very close to the top of the 1U rack-mount case (no more than 2mm) there
is a vent in the case lid which will all the fan to vent.  The rack-mount
case has a cooling duct two 35mm fans that vent to the rear of the
rack-mount, but one of the fans is next to the CPU cooling veins and would
be drawing air across the cooling surface.

So my options are:

  1). Remove the cooling duct (as this is where the power connector
      wires have to be routed) and just rely on the CPU fan.

  2). Cut cut two holes in the cooling duct to run the power wires.
      I don't mind doing this as it will keep them away from
      the various cooling and other structures on the packed
      motherboard.  This will result in one fan drawing air from
      the top of the CPU cooling veins and other trying to draw
      air from the left to the right.

  3). Remove the CPU fan (no not to have the odd airflow) and just
      rely on the fan in the duct (power wire modification still
      would be needed.

What would you do?