[Sussex] CAD on Linux

John Gregory john_gregory at onetel.com
Fri May 13 14:09:00 UTC 2005

Hi Steve

I have tried many other CAD packages over the years but most have proved
inadequate.  I did know about QCad but it is only 2D and there are
occasions when I need 3D.  The other big problem is that many plot
bureaus will only handle drawings in AutoCAD dwg format or as a plot
file for their particular model of plotter.  Because one of my clients
sends me a total station survey drawing,  I add my design work to it and
it then goes to a 3rd party to be plotted compatibility is essential.

I do not know what the licence terms will be as soon as I find out more
I will post again.  The big attraction for me is that I can buy a CAD
package for around 10% of the cost of AutoCAD and which from evaluating
the Windows version appears to be 100% compatible.

I had not heard of Varkon but will follow it up

Thanks
John