[Sussex] A Year without windows

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Tue May 24 07:15:32 UTC 2005

We've been discussing the concept of switching to Ooo at work recently,
but unfortunately the sylabus for the computing students, whilst not
specifically using the words 'Microsoft' or 'Access', basically leaves
you with no choice but to use Access for the certain sections of the
syllabus and one of their programming project.  More frustrating is that
the exam boards are not supposed to be producing syllabuses that have
specific software requirements on them, for example the art department
could theoretically teach their students photo / image manipulation
utilising Paintshop Pro, or Gimp.  Its computing that proves to be the
difficult one.  The head of computing quite likes OOo2 and is keeping a
close eye on the sylabus, and probably as soon as it changes we'll ditch
Office and reduce our licencing costs nicely!