[Sussex] A Year without windows

Brendan Whelan b_whelan at mistral.co.uk
Tue May 24 08:53:32 UTC 2005

Hello,

Geoff raises some interesting points. It seems that because people can now
create documents, spreadsheets, etc. more easily it has become "essential"
that a wide variety of information is gathered. For example, teachers have
to record vast amounts of information. Policemen often spend more time on
administration than catching, alleged, criminals.

I can think of two examples in my working life where the increased use of
computers was counter productive:

1. I worked for a television company and many workers had to create scripts.
The original VMS - terminal system had many advantages including simple word
processing facilities, central backup, etc. When writers switched to PCs
there were numerous software version problems, backup issues, etc. More
importantly whilst the scripts looked far better in WordPerfect, than in
WPS,  they took longer to write. More importantly, what the viewers of the
channel saw and heard did not improve.

2. When working for a major News Agency, very elaborate QA facilities were
introduced. For a period of 6 months everyone spent their time documenting
code and falling in line with procedures. A department of over 40 people did
not release any software for 6 months and. unsurprisingly, the department
was disbanded. Once again having improved tools did not increase output.

In summary, I agree with Geoff that having the ability to do more with IT
does not necessarily lead to improved productivity.

I think that the "non-Windows" office would be a good topic to discuss at a
moot.

Brendan