[Sussex] grub problem - post kernel upgrade

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 16:03:43 UTC 2005

Ronan Chilvers wrote:

>Hi John
>
>On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:01:52 +0000
>"John D." <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>John D. wrote:
>>

>>Ok so I've managed to get back into the system to try to correct my
>>problem. I can boot it etc etc, but only by putting the info manually
>>into grub as it's still dropping me into the grub> prompt.
>>
>>I've done the usual n00b approach, unmerged grub and then re-emerged
>>it, but this hasn't made any difference. Plus I'm also trying to
>>re-run the genkernel too see what it comes up with.
>>
>>Any further advice/suggestions please ???
>>

>If you can get into the system by bashing in the kernel boot parameters
>at the grub prompt then all you need to do is duplicate that
>information into grub.conf.  Can you not boot up, su to root and then
>just edit the grub.conf file (which is probably a symlink
>to /boot/grub/menu.lst)?
>
>Well done for getting it to boot though!

Well I seem to have completed things as far as I can i.e. I've managed
to get into it all the way as far as completing the kernel upgrade - a
small anomally seems to have been that this time the "genkernel" compile
(I use the flags/arguements or whatever you'd call them so that normally
it modifies the grub.conf as well) produced an empty grub.conf, but
there was also a file called grub.conf~ I'm not sure where or why the ~
appeared but I renamed/overwrote the grub.conf file with it - that
appears to be OK.

The only issue remaining is that when I reboot the system, I still end
up at the grub> prompt rather than grub firing up and offering the
various (well, the only) version(s) for me too boot.

Thats stumped the hell out of me - I've been trying to get my head round
the grub manual, the grub faq's, etc etc and not making any progress -
I'm guessing that theres something that it just isn't finding, but I've
got no way of confirming that.

Hence any ideas or suggestions are still (as ever) greatly appreciated -
I still don't follow why this has happened, because I've upgraded the
kernel about 3 or 4 times since I re-installed the gentoo without any
problems???

regards

John D.