[Sussex] grub problem - post kernel upgrade

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Mon Nov 14 16:27:45 UTC 2005

Hi John

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:08:04 +0000
"John D." <john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> The only issue remaining is that when I reboot the system, I still
> end up at the grub> prompt rather than grub firing up and offering
> the various (well, the only) version(s) for me too boot.
>
> Thats stumped the hell out of me - I've been trying to get my head
> round the grub manual, the grub faq's, etc etc and not making any
> progress - I'm guessing that theres something that it just isn't
> finding, but I've got no way of confirming that.
>
> Hence any ideas or suggestions are still (as ever) greatly
> appreciated - I still don't follow why this has happened, because
> I've upgraded the kernel about 3 or 4 times since I re-installed the
> gentoo without any problems???

Can you post the contents of your grub.conf file?  You might need to
specify a default kernel.  For example this is a (cropped) version of
my menu.lst (grub.conf) file:-

--- START
default		0
timeout		3

title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/sda8 ro quiet
splash initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
savedefault
boot

title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.12-9-386 (recovery mode)
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-386 root=/dev/sda8 ro single
initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.12-9-386
boot
--- END

In this configuration, using the default 0 and savedefault parameters,
the default kernel is the last one you booted with.  You could
alternatively specify a number for the 'default' option which would
correspond to the stanza you want to boot (so here I would choose 1 and
remove the savedefault line).  The timeout is the number of seconds to
wait before it boots the default.

Does that help?

Cheers
--