[Sussex] Asterisk Hardware

Adam J Purcell adamjpurcell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 15:29:49 UTC 2005

On 11/27/05, Mark Harrison (Groups) <mph at ascentium.co.uk> wrote:
> Adam,
>
> I use a Sipura SPA3000 and an SPA2000. Note the use of "a" and "an"
> there :-)

Better gramma, and spelin it's better; than me does!

> The SPA3000 is an FXO port and an FXS port in a box.
> The SPA2000 is two FXS ports in a box.
>
> Both of these are, therefore, devices that attach to the network at the
> ethernet level rather than plug into the Asterisk server directly.

This SPA3000 might be an even better option for me than the TDM11B -
it was likely I'd have problems fitting the full height PCI card into
the case.  It's also a little cheaper at about £78 + Shipping & VAT.
Very interesting possibility.

> The reason that I chose to go this route is that I don't particularly
> want to have the server co-located with a phone point - it's far more
> convenient for me to have it in my server rack in my study, and just
> have the small SPA3000 down in Mary's study, which is where the master
> phone point is.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Fortunately I don't have any location problems as the server and all
my telecoms master sockets go straight into the computer room.

>From what I've read, though, the SPA boxes are rather clever little
beasts.  Presumably it is possible to bypass their cleverness and have
the Asterisk box act entirely as the brains?  Have you managed to get
the configurations to a state where the SPA boxes are completely
transparent?

Thanks,
Adam