[Sussex] OFF-TOPIC a quick rant

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 07:57:36 UTC 2005

>With all (http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot?m=2153) the
>security problems with IE these days it should be fairly trivial to
>write a page to send some code to auto-download firefox on a user's
>machine and erase all trace of IE.

Good Idea,
I generally, in the process of sorting out Windows, and setting up dual
boot, install Firefox and Thunderbird and delete the visble icons for IE
and OE and encourage the users to use those (Firefox and Thunderbird).

Unfortunately IE is required for updates, which are very frequent, and
for on-line scan with www.pandasoftware.com and housecall.trendmicro.com
which are my tools for cleaning that awfull system. Both these functions
are dependent on activex.

But I am having great success at getting users over to the better system
and am actually beginning to disable the bad system. Users DO appreciate
the stability and reliability of the better system.