[Sussex] Knoppix display shifted to right on Shuttle

Frances Fleming fay at uthink.co.uk
Sat Oct 1 00:17:55 UTC 2005

Hi all,

The colleague at work to whom I demonstrated Knoppix a couple of weeks
ago has downloaded both the CD and DVD versions.

He first tried it on his Shuttle, but found that the display was shifted
to the right by about 50%, so the left of the screen was black and the
other half of the display was off the screen.
Physically adjusting the monitor only moved the display a little way.

These search results show the kind of problem he experienced:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?
num=50&hl=en&as_qdr=all&q=%22shifted+to+the+right%22+screen+window+linux&btnG=Search

You can see his machine here, along with detailed specs and reviews: it
is the silver one on the left of the picture below the paragraph
entitled "SB61 Comparison".
http://www.sfftech.com/printdocs.cfm?aid=456
He bought it a couple of years ago it because of its size and quietness,
and being lightweight to carry about in its bag, and it's served him well.

I found out more about SSF (small form factor) here:
http://compreviews.about.com/cs/desktops/tp/aatpsffpckits.htm

So does anyone have any ideas on how Knoppix could be made to work on
this Shuttle, or is it a no-go?

Anyway, instead, he tried it on his desktop. This was the DVD version,
and he found it a bit slow *. He realises it is probably because the
desktop is lower spec and has a Celeron processor, but agreed it has
lots of great stuff on it.

* This could be another good reason to stick with CDs on our stand, as
not everyone is going to have a good enough spec'd machine to cope with
a live DVD OS. And we don't want disappointed customers, do we? :-)

Fay