[Sussex] USB Flash Drive

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Tue Oct 11 20:50:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:10:19PM +0100, John Thompson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a simple question:-
>
> When I want to disconnect a USB flash drive or a digital camera, is it
> alright just to unplug it - or should I do somthing first?

It's a good idea to umount the volume on the USB pen before unplugging
it. There are some things like writing file inodes (information about
them) which aren't quite done sometimes, especially if you've just
written to it. My old creative MP3 player often refused to boot if I
unplugged it before unmounting, and the only way to fix was to format
it.

Hope this helps,
Alan