[Sussex] ps options

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Oct 22 21:28:51 UTC 2005

Fay

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 10:12:01PM +0100, Frances Fleming wrote:
> frances at jerry:~$ xset +fp
> xset:  missing +fp argument

Do a
  $ man xset
and then you can read the manual on the command and find out what it
needs.  The +fp (and fp+) options are about changing the font path
search dynamicly after the server is running.

> Thomas Adam also wrote:
> > I then, for completeness sake, run:
> >
> > fc-cache -f
> >
> > ... as root, to regenerate the font cache files.
>
> That one was fine, see below, but I tried to run "xset +fp" again, this
> time as root, with a different result:
>
> frances at jerry:~$ su -
> Password:
> jerry:~# fc-cache -f
> jerry:~# xset +fp
> xset:  unable to open display ""
> jerry:~#
>
> I closed the TCM program completely and reopened it, but unfortunatelt,
> the same error message popped up about the unscalable fonts.
>
> Is there anything I missed?

The X11 graphics system is networked based.  I've talked in the past about
running X11 programs from root and what you need to do to set it up.
 see http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2005-September/010716.html

Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night
hacking (and/or conversations with God).
	-- Matt Welsh