[Sussex] Is downloadable video a Podcast?

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Tue Oct 25 15:48:41 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 03:05 +0100, Steve Dobson wrote:
> A while ago Nik said:
>    Anyway ... im not sure the video content could be categorised as
>    Podcast
>
> http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2005-October/010881.html
> and I others have endorsed that view.  I had no evidence to support my
> position -- until now!  :-)
>
> In this week's TWiT (No. 27 from http://thisweekintech.com/) Leo
> Laporte,
> the presenter, says that TikkiBar "was the number one podcast because
> it was video" (at about 54 mins into the show).  This show is worth
> listening to, BTW, if you want to listen to Larry Lessig on Creative
> Commons and the issues around the creative process in the digital
> world
> and how the law impacts that.

Just because someone misuses a technical term does not automatically
mean that the term has acquired a new meaning.

For example, I've heard people describe BSD as "Linux". Does the fact
that I could cite a URL saying so make it true?

What if I distributed a version of BSD and called it "MarksLinux". Would
that make BSD a Linux distribution?

It could be argued  that the term "Podcasting" is now so generic it's
become like "Hoover" and "Biro", and relates to a class of applications
more general than the investor intended, and not relating to the
original hardware. (The Pod part of Podcasting referred to the iPod.)

Mark