[Sussex] Slow runnings...

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Sep 15 16:15:56 UTC 2005

Matt

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 04:48:26PM +0100, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> I've recently installed IceCast onto my server at home and it now seems
> to be running like a very heavy object with no legs.

I've not used icecastA, but a quick look at the webpage suggests that it
doesn't use MySQL much (if at all).

> I'm not too sure where to go from here or how to investigate memory
> leakage, but I've tried running
>
> #top
>
> and it told me that MySQL was hogging the most CPU, so then I did
>
> # ps ax

I suggest trying iostat.  This will report disk useage, you should be able
to see if it is io bound.  netstat will do the same for network useage.
If it is io bound then which disk device is taken the hit.  Could it be
that your system is swapping like crazy - or, if as you say, MySQL is
using a lot of CPU it could be doing some complex SQL queries.

> and I seem to be running about 100 occurrances of Apache2.  I've altered
> my apache config so it doesn't spawn as many servers (reduced it from
> 150 to 50) and then rebooted the entire box.

This is odd.  Have you looked at the Apache logs to see which pages is being
requested?

> It shutdown in the same way a feather falls down a very deep well.  It
> came back up fairly quickly, and has now ground to a state where even
> doing the simplest tasks over SSH on a 100Mb Ethernet connection is painful.

We a system that is swapping (IO bound) will shutdown slowly.

> I've removed all unnecessary services from the run-levels, and I can't
> think what else to do... :(
>
> All help is greatfully accepted,

See above.

The best way to accelerate a Macintoy is at 9.8 meters per second per second.