[Sussex] I've got Flash now I want to watch movie clips

Frances Fleming fay at uthink.co.uk
Thu Sep 15 20:14:28 UTC 2005

<http://www.real.com/linux?pcode=rn&src=freeplayer_partner&opage=freeplayer_partner>
> and click on the "Download RPM Package" link.
> Save the rpm file "somewhere".
> Now use alien to convert the .rpm file to a .deb (apt-get install alien
> if necessary) like this:
> alien --to-deb RealPlayer10GOLD.rpm
> and you should end up with a .deb file like this:
> realplayer_10.0.0.297-20040731_i386.deb
> which you can install (as root) using dpkg, like this
> dpkg --install realplayer_10.0.0.297-20040731_i386.deb

Thank you VERY VERY much, Trevor :-) detailed instructions are just what
I need still :-)
I followed them to the letter and it all did exactly as described above.
I was very impressed. The realplayer version number is 10.0.5.756-20050514

Now I'm looking for a sample movie clip to test it out.

I went back to the BBC news site (http://news.bbc.co.uk) but it seems
they want something else, as the popup player screen had three jigsaw
shaped icons and the message:
"Additional plugins are required to display all the media on this page."

I suppose my download did include all the bits - fonts and codecs and all?

Anyway, when I click on the "Install Missing Plugins", Firefox comes up
with a Plugin Finder Service box which lists Real Player 10.5 as
available. This is a different version from the one I just downloaded.

I click next twice and it says Real Player 10.5 Not Available and
there's a "Manual Install" button next to it.

Clicking this button takes me to an Internet page:
http://uk.real.com/radiopass/

But that page doesn't seem to have a download link in it. It just says
"14 Day FREE Trial The basic RealPlayer is always yours to keep".

Please may I beg some more help?
TIA,
Fay

On Thu Sep 15 10:21:13 BST 2005, G. J. Teale wrote:
> Fortunately the BBC is actively working to replace these formats with
> free sofware formats of it's own cunning design, so this situation
> shouldn't prevail (on this sight at least).

That's good to know; I think it's a bit off that our own BBC require us
to use a proprietry brand. The project is a good use of our licence fees.