[Sussex] Newcomer

Dave Chapman linux-lists at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 19 21:26:00 UTC 2005

On Monday 19 September 2005 21:59, Martin Easton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newcomer to the group. So it's good to be here!
>
> I have just installed Suse Linux 9.3 Pro on an IBM ThinkPad T40p.
> I went for a dual boot with WinXP Pro, and all went well until......
> Linux finally got online and did the auto updates. When finished it
> re-booted and wont get to the Linux desktop. Any ideas ??

There's a bug that gives you the xdm display manager instead of the normal kdm

To solve, do this: log in as user root and run the command 'rcxdm stop'. Then
run the command yast.

Then go to System->/etc/sysconfig editor, and then to desktop->display
manager->display manager and change the value to kdm.

Finish and quit out of yast and run 'rcxdm start' and you should see your
regular login screen again

Dave