[Sussex] A rant on using different distributions

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Tue Sep 27 10:23:52 UTC 2005

OK,

I've recently installed a variant of Debian (Damn Small Linux) onto my
laptop. I run Gentoo on my Server.  Out of the two, I have always heard
it said that Debian (and debian-based distros) had a better package
management system than Portage, and that they were more straight forward
to install and use.

I've now re-installed DSL (Damn Small Linux) three times onto this
laptop because I couldn't get it to install the packages I wanted it to.
  Now that I've got the distro up and running, I've been playing with
apt.  so far my impression is this - it's crap.

Here's a little example of how to install in Gentoo vs how to install in
Debian:

Gentoo:

emerge -s packageName
emerge packageName

Debian:

apt-cache search packageName
apt-get install packageName

Why do I need to use two seperate tools to find and then install a
package???

Error reporting in Gentoo is great.  It gives proper error messages like
"This package will not be installed because it is blocked by package x.
Please remove that package before installing this one."

Debian simply said "This package depends on package x, but it's not
going to be installed".  WHY THE F**K NOT? TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO TO
STOP THIS HAPPENING!  DON'T JUST TELL ME YOU CAN'T DO IT! [1]

My advice from now on to anyone that cares to take it is this:

If you want a small footprint that is quick to install but completely
non-sensical to maintain, use debian.  If you're willing to wait for the
added stability and tuning that compiling your own software through an
easy-to-use, understandable command-line interface ( and let's face it,
with the speed of machines that are out at the moment, it's not a huge
difference!) use Gentoo.

/me stands down from soap box, dons flame-proof jacket and fdisks every
debian mirror he can find...

Matt

[1] Sorry about going all "AOL" on you there, it just really gets to me...