[Sussex] Kids are growing up faster

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Sep 28 12:37:27 UTC 2005

Mark Harrison (Groups) wrote:
> Some of you who remember our Moots at the Olde Kings Head may remember
> Pippa coming along as a baby.
>
> Pippa is 3 years, and 3 months old.
>
> Yesterday evening she walked into the kitchen and announced "my website
> is working"...
>
> .... I was staggered.
>
> Closer investigation revealed that she has NOT yet set up her own
> website, but that "my website" infact referred to the CBeebies
> website :-) Still...

Tell me about it. My son has just started school (odd enough since it is
the same one that both I, my wife, and my two oldest friends went to -
one is my brother-in-law).

For quite some time now he has been proficient in the use of the
CBeebies and Nick Jr websites (amongst a few others), his favourite
Thomas the Tank Engine CD (sadly Windows, although being Flash based, I
think, it may work under Linux with a bit of playing) and Tux Paint (the
reason he has a login on my work Linux box, although it is also
available for Windows). Of course all this is very difficult to put into
context since I was 13 before I got anywhere near my own computer - and
that was a ZX81.

How times change, particularly technology wise. I've no doubt a
selection of letters were sent out when I was born, but with both my
sons these were supplemented (well, preceded in many cases) by emails, a
few photos on my website and (in my eldest sons case) a worldwide
announcement on the Smoothwall website - which in itself shows how
things change since I've had 3 different jobs in that short space of time!

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/