[Sussex] Slugoppix project

Vic lug at beer.org.uk
Fri Aug 4 12:18:52 UTC 2006

> The purpose of SLUGoppix, at least for me, is to produce a live CD that
> we can sell to support the stall at the BCF (Worthing) events.  As such
> we are targeting new users to Linux.

New users? Such as, perhaps, those that have dabbled once & broken something?

The amount of traffic on the Fedora support forum relating to LVM is
really quite incredible. I always advise people to use Knoppix & add LVM
to it. Getting a Knoppix with pre-installed LVM is one of the bazillion
things on my list that'll probably never happen :-(

> What should we include on the SLUGoppix CD that would make the Linux
> experence better for a new commer to Linux?  Links to useful sites, how
> tos, maybe a game or two.  That kinda thing.

..And some useful "get out of jail free" utilities. Given that at least
one *major* distro now installs into an LVM partition by defalt, I'd say
that it's quite important...

> So while the Linux Volume Manager is a useful bit of software I don't
> see it as helpful to this task.

Given that the Logical Volume Manager is central to a significant nunmber
of installations, I'd completely disagree with you.

Vic.