[Sussex] Microsoft Windows minimum system's

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Aug 7 22:12:17 UTC 2006

John

On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 22:21 +0100, John Crowhurst wrote:
> In fact, the same applies to Linux. The more memory you have, the less
> swap you use. Some systems with GB's of RAM run better without a swapfile.

Could you please define better.

IIRC, Linux does not allocate a page in swap unless it needs to swap a
RAM page to swp.  Therefore a system with more RAM than need by the
applications running will not need to swap.  You should see no
perfromance difference between a system configured with swap and one
configured without.

On the other hand, if at some point the applications running require
more memory than is available in RAM a system without sway will have to
return a NULL pointer when no more RAM is available.  The application
requiring the RAM will have to fail it's current operation (or if
programmed badly will abort).  A system with swap configured may not run
as fast as it would if more RAM was available, but at least it will run.

I consider a system that can not do the tasks asked of it to be worse
than one that performs them, but does so slowly.