[Sussex] Moot/Linux CD thoughts

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Aug 12 23:05:55 UTC 2006

On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 01:32:48PM +0100, John Crowhurst wrote:
> On Wed, August 9, 2006 18:48, Nicholas Butler wrote:
> > um if we do things with Flash how will people be able to read it from
> > the cdrom if they have booted from the LIVE CD  ? or ( and its possible
> > ) have I missed something ?
>
> I've looked at different possibilities, it seems Flash is well supported
> under Windows but dire under Linux (not surprising as Adobe owns
> Macromedia)

Yeah, and now Flash 9 is out for the Mac, it's just us Linux users that are
left out.

> Istanbul was a thought, but encoding for Theora straight off would task
> the speaker's computer as it works on capture and encoding.

Indeed. There's a bug report to put back the feature that used to be there
which allows for two-stage record then encode. The author is quite active in
this area so it's worth keeping an eye on the Istanbul home page.
http://live.gnome.org/Istanbul

> Alternatively, with two computers (using x11vnc and vncrec) you can
> capture the demonstration to a raw .vnc file. This file can then be
> converted into a suitable video format later using transcode before
> attaching the narration and converting to theora with ffmpeg2theora.

You don't need two computers for that. You can use one computer and just
spark up a vnc session under another user with vncserver. But it's probably
better with two computers because you have the processing overhead of
recording on one box whilst the demo is on another.

<pimp>
I gave a talk last weekend at the HantsLUG meeting about recording the
screen to video. You might want to have a look at it.

You can download the OGG/Theora video and the WMV from the page below.

http://hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TechTalks/5thAugust2006

Alternatively you can watch via google video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7873495204548673697&hl=en
</pimp>

Either DemoRecorder or xvidcap get my vote. Xvidcap is neat because you can
record any window direct to mpeg video.

Cheers,
Al.