[Sussex] A change of distro (yet again)

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Tue Aug 15 16:58:49 UTC 2006

On Monday 14 August 2006 22:50, Stephen Williams wrote:
> John,
>
> If you liked Gentoo but couldn't stand the compiling, you could try
> Kororaa.
>
> http://kororaa.org/
>
> They do a couple of live CDs - try the one with Xgl - cool, wobbly
> windows and all.
>
> It has an "install to hard drive" icon on the desktop once launched.
> Once installed, I suspect you'd be able to emerge --sync and emerge
> --usepkgonly to update and install binary packages, thus obviating the
> need for compiling.
>
> Have fun.
>
> Steve W.
>
> On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 21:50 +0100, John D. wrote:
> > Wotcha list,
> >
> > Just thought I'd mention, that because I've recently had so many
> > annoyances with Kubuntu (6.06 - Dapper), I've installed Kanotix instead.
> >
> > Which means a couple of things, firstly, I can "just get" the packages
> > that I
>
> ------%<------
When I initially got fed up with fighting Kubuntu, which, don't get me wrong,
is a good distro - I burned and fired up the gentoo 2006.0 that I'd
downloaded - to see what might happen with their new graphical installer. I
don't know if I got anything wrong, but it did seem vvv slow i.e. I could go
downstairs, make a coffee, drink it, have a ciggie and go back up to see what
happened to still see the same screen. Not that it really mattered, as I
never did manage to find a packages disc to download for x86/i686 (though
there still seems to be stuff for just about every other supported
architecture).

I just got impatient and threw the Kanotix disc in and installed that instead.

As for compiling, thats not a problem, because I just used to do the emerge
stuff last thing before going to bed.

I did try Xgl/Compiz under SuSE 10.1, it did look good (maybe I should say
novel). I found that it didn't like playing video files, irrespective of what
format the file was in (mpeg, .wmv or avi). So I just uninstalled it.

I presume that Kororaa must have got that little snag sorted out.

I think I'll stick with the kanotix/debian setup for the moment - I'd like to
learn how to cure some of these minor problems that I'm getting at the
moment.

regards

John D.