[Sussex] spam filtering

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 11:43:20 UTC 2006

At present I filter manually (and with the help of Thunderbird) and
report using spamcop.net any spam.
But I have a thought:-
The messages appear to come from ligitimate addresses and yet when we
examine the headers they actually have come from quite somewhere else,
commonly China, Brazil etc. Some that I have received lately apparently
come from hotmail.com but in reality do not.
My thought is this:-
Can we filter and in comparing the apparent sending address with the
actual is it possible to stop some of this problem? This might provide
an extra layer of control in addition to the use of dynamic blocking
lists provided by the likes of spamcop.net.
The particular example in front of me is a phish supposedly coming from
the Bank of Scotland but actually coming from a spam supporting ISP in
China.
While the spam is so much on the increase due to the support of
Microsoft we do need to find more ways of reducing this horrendous problem.