[Sussex] Debian and the nvidia driver!

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Aug 19 19:13:04 UTC 2006

John

On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 19:57 +0100, John D. wrote:
> On Saturday 19 August 2006 19:23, Steven Dobson wrote:
>
> > Okay, if you read the "KERNEL INTERFACES" section of the README it will
> > compile some code, but this is just a thin wrapper around a binary
> > module.  It also says that you will have the GCC compiler installed and
> > the linker.  You probably do have them from the errors I'm seeing, but
> > just lest make sure.
>
> Which I can't find - which readme are you referring to ??

I was reading the AMD64 version which was linked to off the download
page.  There was a link to Chapter 3 but I found that broken.  Luckly I
was able to find it for you.

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-8762/README/index.html

> >    # apt-get install gcc binutils
>
> Reports that the latest version is already installed

I hoped it would.

> > Try doing an install of the linux kernel headers for your kernel
> > (2.6.17-2):
> >
> >     # apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.17-2-686
> >

> Also reports that the latest version is already installed

Damn

> > > Plus that the kernel source path to '/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-686/build is
> > > incorrect.
> >
> > I think that the install of the linux-headers above will have fixed
> > that.
>
> No, it hasn't. If I look, I can see it there "plain as day" (as is the
> lib/modules/2.6.17-2-686/build/include/linux/kernel.h).

Double Damn.

> > > This has stumped me, because previously, I've just had to install the
> > > kernel-sources and the driver will compile/build fine.
> >
> > But did you installed the kernel sources for the same version of the
> > kernel that you're running?
> [quote]john at johnspc:~$ uname -r
> 2.6.17-2-686
> john at johnspc:~$[/quote]

Okay that's the right kernel for the headers you installed.

> Really confusing.

Agreed.

> I don't understand how "it" can't find the
> kernel-sources/headers file, when even I can or these other bit's it seems to
> be asking for. I don't follow what configuration there might be for the
> kernel-sources/headers either.
>
> In theory, it "should just work" now all the bits are apparently in place.

I don't know either.  I'll have to think on that.