[Sussex] Debian and the nvidia driver!

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat Aug 19 18:57:32 UTC 2006

On Saturday 19 August 2006 19:23, Steven Dobson wrote:

> Okay, if you read the "KERNEL INTERFACES" section of the README it will
> compile some code, but this is just a thin wrapper around a binary
> module.  It also says that you will have the GCC compiler installed and
> the linker.  You probably do have them from the errors I'm seeing, but
> just lest make sure.

Which I can't find - which readme are you referring to ??

>    # apt-get install gcc binutils

Reports that the latest version is already installed

> > Problem is, is that it's erroring me out at the module build, with the
> > error that says
> >
> > [quote]'/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-686/build/include/linux/kernel.h is missing
> > and that I need to make sure that the kernel-sources package is installed
> > and correctly configured. [/quote]
>
> Try doing an install of the linux kernel headers for your kernel
> (2.6.17-2):
>
>     # apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.17-2-686

Also reports that the latest version is already installed
> > Plus that the kernel source path to '/lib/modules/2.6.17-2-686/build is
> > incorrect.
>
> I think that the install of the linux-headers above will have fixed
> that.

No, it hasn't. If I look, I can see it there "plain as day" (as is the
lib/modules/2.6.17-2-686/build/include/linux/kernel.h).

> > This has stumped me, because previously, I've just had to install the
> > kernel-sources and the driver will compile/build fine.
>
> But did you installed the kernel sources for the same version of the
> kernel that you're running?
[quote]john at johnspc:~$ uname -r
2.6.17-2-686
john at johnspc:~$[/quote]

Really confusing. I don't understand how "it" can't find the
kernel-sources/headers file, when even I can or these other bit's it seems to
be asking for. I don't follow what configuration there might be for the
kernel-sources/headers either.

In theory, it "should just work" now all the bits are apparently in place.

Hum?

regards

John D.