[Sussex] linux process management

stuart nixon snixon at rednut.net
Tue Feb 7 04:49:56 UTC 2006

Hello All, I have a couple of questions:

1) How can you  "nohup" an an already running background job ( eg started with
" myjob.sh &" ) so as to prevent it from being killed should the terminal
hangup? (eg GPRS blackspot)

2) You have a process running via a ssh login session (eg /dev/pts/0) you then
login (say when u get home) via ssh to tty /dev/pts/3 - how can you "move"
the jobs running on /dev/pts/0 so that they are owned now by /dev/pts/3 (your
current login session)?

I currently use nohup when i know a job will take some time and that i could
be logged off before it finishes.

Sometimes I forget to nohup the job, sometime i am physically not in front of
a terminal that's running a job.

What i would like to do is "take over" a process so that stdio is connected to
my current tty.

Are there any specific commands that would perform this task - i guess some
ioctl calls could implement this? if so does anyone have any pointers to
relevent documentation?

Many thanks in advance

--
Stuart Nixon