[Sussex] Soekris question for Steve D

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Mon Feb 27 21:01:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 12:59:15PM +0000, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> Andy - interesting howto - had a very quick whizz through but will be
> going back to read again.  So following your notes, I'd end with debian
> installed on a.... CF card? HDD?  Wasn't sure what the end result was,
> but could be entirely down to that fact I haven't read thoroughly yet.

If you do a sarge install without selecting any additional software
except ssh then you will easily fit onto a 256MB CompactFlash.  I
use a 512M one for ample breathing space and currently am using
230MB of it.

CF does have a write-cycle limit in that after some huge number of
writes you can't write anymore.  Lots of Soekris users don't seem
to think this is a problem and ignore it seemingly without issue
however I preferred to err on the side of caution and therfore run
with the filesystem read-only at all times except for security
upgrades.

Also it means that it's very difficult to corrupt the filesystem.

There are about 20 files that will need to be writable for a minimal
sarge to work alright.  You can symlink them into a /dev/shm you
populated from an initscript.  I haven't documented that bit yet but
it's really not very hard.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB