[Sussex] Distributed video encoding WAS: Video encoding under Linux

Diego Moore diego.moore at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 10:55:05 UTC 2006

Hi Steve

On 26/01/06, Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:

> I've also used mencode (the encoder that comes as part of mplayer) to
> turn stills from PoVRAY into movies.  It will transcode from anything
> to anything so long as it as the plugin for it, and just about all
> format seem to be supported.  The list is long in any case.

mencoder is exactly was I was looking for and it seems to support H.264

> It all depends on how the imagery is getting to you.

The source of the video footage is DVCam which will but saved as
uncompressed QuickTime videos (.mov). AFAIK a dedicated hardware
encoders from QuickTime to H.264 don't exist.

However if the encoding with mencoder can be farmed out to a cluster
then things that would be useful. I've also just come across this page
(http://howto.ipng.be/openMosixWiki/index.php/work%20smoothly) which
mentions that mencoder works smoothly under openMosix, but openMosix
if very new to me...

Any other options aside from openMosix?

Thanks,
Diego