[Sussex] Distributed video encoding WAS: Video encoding under Linux

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Jan 27 12:35:23 UTC 2006

Diego

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:18:36AM +0000, Diego Moore wrote:
> On 26/01/06, Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> > I've also used mencode (the encoder that comes as part of mplayer) to
> > turn stills from PoVRAY into movies.  It will transcode from anything
> > to anything so long as it as the plugin for it, and just about all
> > format seem to be supported.  The list is long in any case.
>
> mencoder is exactly was I was looking for and it seems to support H.264
>
> > It all depends on how the imagery is getting to you.
>
> The source of the video footage is DVCam which will but saved as
> uncompressed QuickTime videos (.mov). AFAIK a dedicated hardware
> encoders from QuickTime to H.264 don't exist.
>
> However if the encoding with mencoder can be farmed out to a cluster
> then things that would be useful. I've also just come across this page
> (http://howto.ipng.be/openMosixWiki/index.php/work%20smoothly) which
> mentions that mencoder works smoothly under openMosix, but openMosix
> if very new to me...

I don't see why the encoding can't be farmed out.  I've run scripts
like:
    ssh user at romote cat /var/video/some-video | mplayer -

And that works just fine.  So if mencode is what you need that you
couldn't run it on a remote machine and then pipe the output into
the software to store it to the IPod store.