[Sussex] RIPA

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Wed Jun 7 13:42:52 UTC 2006

The Home Office seems to be recovering from their bad week and has
finally got the public consultation on RIPA out the door:

  http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/cons-2006-ripa-part3/

This is an important document - it is the consultation on whether the
Government should enact powers for police and other investigative
bodies to demand encryption keys.

There is, of course, a privacy issue.

However, what is concerning people in the free software / open source
world is the sheer impracticality of the idea. Are we to have to alter
openssh so that keys for every session we establish are recorded?

It seems to be an example of Government not really understanding
encryption systems in widespread use.

If you have the time, please do read and respond to the consultation
paper.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs