[Sussex] Installing nvidia driver after new kernel - (K)Ubuntu ???

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Sat Jun 17 12:31:53 UTC 2006

On Saturday 17 June 2006 01:41, Steven Dobson wrote:
> Hi John
>
> Long time, no hear.
>
> On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 00:53 +0100, John D. wrote:
> > Now running (K)ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper).
> >
> > Yesterday, the package installer said there was ?? (quite a few) new
> > package upgrades waiting install.
> >
> > So I used synaptic to install the upgrades - one of which, was a newer
> > kernel version.
> >
> > I was aware that I'd have to re-install the nvidia driver - which isn't a
> > problem as I'd already found instructions how to do that on a debian
> > based system.
> >
> > The problem is, that it doesn't matter whether I just try to re-install
> > or remove and then re-install, it only wants to get the packages for the
> > old kernel version.
> >
> > Is there anyone who might be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong ?
> >
> > And yes, I have tried booting into the new kernel and then running
> > update/upgrade from CLI and then trying the remove and re-install trick.
>
> Are you certain that there are nvidia drivers for your version of the
> kernel?  I don't know (K)ubuntu (Dapper) but it can often be the case
> that proprity drivers take a while to be released by the hardware
> manifactures.
>
> Have you removed the old kernel from the system (apt-get remove).  The
> packaging system may be trying to load updates for that kernel as it is
> part of your system just incase you boot to that kernel again.  [Make
> sure that the new kernel works very well and is the default before
> removing the old one].
Well I was wondering if it's something to do with the sources that I have in
the sources.list because if I look at the list of available packages in
synaptic it doesn't tell me all of the info, whereas if I do apt-get install
for the nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-common it gets the packages that seem to
match the older kernel i.e. 2.6.15-23-386 rather than 2.6.15-25-386, even if
I only have CLI input available while booted into the newer kernel (can't be
bothered to change the driver to vesa in the xorg.conf, it's just as easy to
boot into the old kernel).

The problem is, that when I have 2 kernels, the X server will only start with
the nvidia driver for the one that it's got it installed (compiled ???) for.

The actual version of the nvidia driver that I have installed is the latest
one i.e. shown as the latest one under synaptic as well as at nvidia.com and
I should have thought that "they" would have released the accompanying
packages to go with the updates that "they" released for (K)Ubuntu the other
day.

As for making the newer kernel version the default, I'm not "au fait" as to
how thats done. Yes it does seem to be OK inasfaras I can tell - though only
having CLI does limit what I know how to check - somewhat!

The old kernel is still in the system though - maybe it's enough to comment it
out in the /boot/grub/grub.conf(menu.1st) ?? I'm not sure.

regards

John D.