[Sussex] Laptop update & question

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Sat Mar 4 01:45:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 08:35:23 +0000
Colin Tuckley <colin at tuckley.org> wrote:

> Gavin Stevens wrote:

> > My question: I need to replace the CMOS & Resume batteries, but I
> > had to admit I was beat after undoing several screws, still without
> > the case feeling like it was going to move easily. I decided against
> > bold experimentation with the use of force & in favour of asking if
> > anyone had any general tips on getting inside a laptop?
>
> You could try looking on the Tosh website, or maybe even ringing them.

The website has many things, including an active mailing list for those
who want to run Linux on their Toshiba laptops, but nowhere can i find a
diagram of the innards of the thing.

> Also I think we are doing the Computer Fair in Worthing on Sunday
> (Steve, confirm?) you could bring it along and let some of us have a
> look.

Thanks for the thought - also, someone there on another stall may also
have the knowledge required.

I asked the returns engineer at work, who has worked on laptops before,
& he said that getting a laptop open was really a skill best left to
someone who knew what to expect. He has offered to take a look for me &
hopefully he will be able to replace these two batteries for me.

The biggest problem apparently, is that there is sometimes not much room
to get fingers between the two halves of the case to disconnect the
display cable & if it is pulled it is prone to snap. Older laptops like
mine tend to have several connections that need to be removed before the
case will separate.

Gavin.