[Sussex] Laptop sound

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Fri Mar 17 08:08:42 UTC 2006

Steven Dobson wrote:
>>This is something I remember from using Woody before. If I remember
>>correctly, it's just a question of changing the /dev/cdrom symlink so
>>that the ordinary user account can use the CD-ROM.
>

> No it is better to change the device that /dev/cdrom references.

No!

The *correct* way to fix this is to add the user in question to the group
that owns the CD device.

So, in /etc/group add your user name to the line for the group that owns
/dev/cdrom, probably "audio". On my system that line now looks like..

audio:x:29:colin

regards,

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

Those who dream by day are cognisant of many things that escape those who
dream only by night. - E. A. Poe.