[Sussex] SPAM catcher

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu May 4 22:41:21 UTC 2006

Brendan

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 20:47 +0100, Brendan Whelan wrote:
> My occasional messages to the group are consistently being caught
> by the SPAM catcher!

That is true - I get to approve them!   :-)

> Is this a general problem of is it just my messages?

You are not on the only one - but most peoples' e-amils don't cause me
that much touble.

> I wonder if this one will get through?

No it didn't - I had to approve it too.

Looking at this and your other e-mail tonight I see that you use
Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2741.2600 as your MUA (Mail User Agent).
I see this from the e-mail header:

From what I've read it might be because the MTA is configured not to
send good old plain text format but something else:

One of the formats attached is HTML and a lot of spam is sent in HTML
format.  So your message is going to score high just becuase of the
format you use, it doesn't take much to tip it over the "isSpam" mark.
I don't know how low the isSpam level is on mailman.lug.org.uk.

If you configure the MTA to use plain old ASCII format only then this
might stop your e-mails getting caught by the spam filter.  As I don't
use any Microsoft products I can't test this myself.