[Sussex] Suggestions for backup software

Karl E. Jørgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Mon May 8 14:27:14 UTC 2006

[I'm back amongst the living. Please don't be shocked...]

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 08:59:41AM +0100, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> I'm in the process of putting a tape drive into the backup server and
> was wondering what people's favourite backup systems are?  I've been
> reading about AMANDA, which seems far too heavy duty for us and also
> flexbackup, which might do the job.  We need to be able to schedule
> backup runs using a fairly simple interface (no gui but curses is
> fine), since the system may be used by relatively non-technical users.

I'm curiuos as to why you think Amanda is heavy duty - I find it
absolute excellent. Once configured (which has a couple of
well-documented pitfalls), I have found it to be a case of
"install-and-forget" - as long as I keep giving it a new "tape" (dvd-ram
in my case) every night...

The greatest thing about it is the ability to manage itself - basically
you say what you want backed up on which machines, how many tapes you've
got and let it loose...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl at jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com