[Sussex] Hello

Jon Fautley jfautley at redhat.com
Tue May 9 08:30:37 UTC 2006

Linux Alchemist wrote:
> Hi Jon - good name

Thanks :)

> Nothing major really just lots of little bits, e.g.
>
> i) I want to install MythTV, it was not that straight forward, having to
> use some cool perl thing "perl -MCPAN -e shell". Not that I didnt enjoy
> it just didnt know what I was doing? Didnt get it installed either!

What distro? If you've not got a specific distribution choice, take a
look at: http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php

That HOWTO basically makes it as simple as installing Fedora Core 4,
adding a couple of other options, and doing a:

yum install mythtv

I've done it, and hardware problems aside, it seems to work quite well.

> ii) I had a problem with LimeWire were it would only work with root access?

Strange. Depends how you installed it, I suppose. Besides,
Limewire/Gnutella is so 2003 - BitTorrent, man! ;)

> iii) Is there a GPL'd Java Run Time Environment?

See posting from Nic - I avoid Java wherever possible :)

> Note to all - Any SLUG in Chichester?

Not I - I'm not even in Sussex any more! ;)

Cheers,

/j