[Sussex] RAID & backup recomendations for home

Diego Moore diego.moore at gmail.com
Thu May 11 20:47:57 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've decided to that with all the amount of ever increasing data
(photos, music, videos, etc) I need to get my act together and store
it centrally in my box.

The idea is to move the 3 x 80Gb drives out of the main PC and swap it
with the 30Gb + 12Gb in the box in the attic.

I guess the ideal solution would be to have both a software RAID (as
its an older machine and I don't have a controller) using two of the
drives and the last drive as a backup (for which I have a caddie).So
should I bother with RAID and just rely on backups.

Or even take the other extreme and only rely on RAID over the 3 drives
and be more careful with trigger happy clicks (today I accidentally
deleted a colleagues entire 5Gb Windows profile, but that's another
story...!)

One thing is telling me to to xyz, but what is everyone else doing in
terms of redundancy and backups at home?

TIA

Diego