[Sussex] USB drive filesystem permissions

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Nov 14 12:24:12 UTC 2006

Ronan

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 10:45 +0000, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> Question: How can I use XFS as the filesystem, but have the drive mount
> under my account with the same permissions as if I used a fat32 filesystem?

I have my GPG private key stored on a USB thumb drive on which I have an
ext3 file-system rather than XFS - but it should be work the same for
you.

I just changed the owner (&group) of the root directory on the drive to
be owned by my user account:

   # chown steve.staff /media/usbdrive

When I pulled the drive the mount point is removed and when I reconnect
the driver the root directory of the device is stilled owned by my
account not root's.