[Sussex] USB drive filesystem permissions

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Tue Nov 14 10:45:14 UTC 2006

Hi folks

Small irritation with a USB disk that I've recently put together. Its a
250GB drive in a USB2.0 disk caddy. The hardware all works fine.  The
problem is the filesystem choice.  I'd like to use XFS as the filesystem
on the drive. However if I format the drive using XFS, when I mount it
(or rather when gnome mounts it) the mount point is owned by root with
755 permissions meaning I only have read access.  If I use fat32 as the
filesystem, its mounts fine with me as the owner and full permissions.

Question: How can I use XFS as the filesystem, but have the drive mount
under my account with the same permissions as if I used a fat32 filesystem?

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.