[Sussex] Re: Simple cloning

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 16:38:10 UTC 2006

Brendan Whelan wrote:
> Once again than you all for your responses.
>
> Nico, you write 'rsync is great: you have to be careful with the "exclude"
> syntax to avoid recursion'
> What setting would you suggest adding to the basic cloning of one SCSI disk
> to another i.e.
> rsync /dev/sda /dev/sdb

Oh, you use rsync on filesystems, not on raw disk. For RedHat and Fedora
recently, you would do something like:

    mount /media/dev/sdb1   # the spare disk with the partition in place
    rsync -avH --delete --exclude sdb1 / /dev/sdb1/

> Anthony you wrote "....but the safest would be to use a live CD to copy the
> old system to
> the new".
> Do you mean booting the system in Fedora Linux rescue or some other way?
> How will my SCSI drives be referenced?

By their device names: those are usually in /media automatically with
recent distributions. Admittedly, I haven't had a chance to play with
this with LVM partitions, but am looking into it now. It works just fine
with primary and extended partitions, however.