[Sussex] Doing more for the young

Ronan Chilvers ronan at thelittledot.com
Mon Nov 20 15:34:37 UTC 2006

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 02:16:44PM +0000, john wrote:
> One of my granddaughters is very happy using Linux on my machine but has
> to stick with Windows XP for her Ipod.  Any suggestions on how to
> download to this from Linux would be gratefully received.

Which distribution are you using? There's lots of things that will
happily write to an ipod. I've used gtkpod, amarok and rhythmbox (in
ubuntu) and they all work fine.  The thorny issue is DRM stuff. If she's
bought music from the iTunes store or you've bought some stuff from
Audible, you're stuck with windows I fear. If she's just got lots of
MP3s from CDs or downloads and they're not DRM encrypted you can wave
bye bye to windows and use any of the above.

Alternatively, keep an eye on www.rockbox.org - really good alternative
firmware that will run on the ipod (but is a little unstable at the
moment). I've been using it for a while and MUCH prefer it to the
standard apple firmware - does stuff like bookmarks, gapless playback,
very flexible playlists, etc, etc. Its a filesystem player which means
you can just drop stuff onto the drive however you like (acts as a
usb-storage device). Very nice. Once its stable on the ipod, I'm going
to be converting over for good.

Just grabbed the latest issue of the Linux Action Show to listen to on
the way home and stuck it onto my iPod mini with rhythmbox. If you
haven't come across this podcast, give it a go -
www.linuxactionshow.com. Good show by a couple of fellas near Seattle.

Cheers
--
Ronan
e: ronan at thelittledot.com
t: 01903 739 997

This email has been digitally signed using GNUPG to verify the identity
of the sender. Please see http://www.gnupg.org/ for further information.