[Sussex] Doing more for the young

Andrew Guard andrew at andrewguard.com
Mon Nov 20 16:23:17 UTC 2006

>> The one area where I think we do need to do more is with the young.
>>

> This is not just a Sussex problem.  I believe that there one or two
> schools using Linux but the vast majority are Windows based.  How about
> a national LUG campaign to educate LEA IT managers on the benefits of
> alternative OS's and free software?  Other European countries are
> moving away from  Windows.

This is where the PS3 is so important. I have got some replays from list
privately which say so what if there Linux on PS3 it just a game counsel.

Well it is truly massive, this is biggest boost Linux has ever got.  In
front rooms up down land soon people will have computer in there living
rooms.  If they want to do computer things on PS3 it will be in Linux.  To
get best out PS3 / Linux you would really need a good display ie HD TV.

I expect in next few months a big growth of interest in Linux just because
of PS3. Some people will not install Linux on there PC just because they
never used Linux before but there better chance of them giving it a go
just because it not a computer as such in there eye's but a game counsel.

Homebrew software for PS3 Linux is going to be big.  It turn it will be
big for everyone on Linux.

Just look at homebrew sean is on the PSP.  The think how great it going to
be without any restrictions any more which Sony put upon it way as in PS3.

Watch an early video of Linux on PS3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXcuhJkwx4

--
This e-mail has been edited with a webmail service.