[Sussex] Some more thoughts on the Microsoft/Novel deal

Dave Phelan dave.phelan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 13:54:28 UTC 2006

On 11/19/06, Steven Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 09:51 +0000, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> I thought that Xeros PARC was a Palo Alto - or am I getting confused?

Palo Alto Research Center, as far as I recall.

> > Mind you, the interface for early Windows was pretty obviously
> > based on Apple's current efforts, and we saw a lot of overall similarity
> > to MacOS when Win9x came out later..

ISTR a lawsuit, which Apple lost over the windows 3.0 GUI.
Nevertheless, the Windows trashcan became a recyling bin for windows
95..

> > Don't get me started on the TCP stack in early Windows: my friends at
> > FTP Software had to deal with that mess, and saw their work ruined as
> > Microsoft illegally "tied" them right out of profitability.
>
> What were you friends doing?  My understanding was that Microsoft took
> the BSD TCP/IP stack and hack functionality out of it for that standard
> release.

Wolverine was the project name, if memory serves. It provided the
TCP/IP stack for Windows 3.11 and was "improved" for Windows for
Workgroups 3.11 (not sure if that improvement was anything more than
SMB and Netbios over TCP)

I think there was some transition of 32 bit code from Windows NT 3.5
(which still retained the OS/3 POSIX subsystem), but I'm not certain.
It might even have been from NT 3.1

Dave Ph

--
 Dave Phelan CCIE#3590   ICQ: 50180416    GSM: +44 (0)7776 168561
 dave.phelan at gmail.com                  http://www.davephelan.org