[Sussex] Some more thoughts on the Microsoft/Novel deal

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Nov 20 10:23:52 UTC 2006

Desmond

On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 08:22 +0000, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> Thanks for the well considered comments.

You're more than welcome.

> I am now thinking, What can we do to clean up the mess.

The more that think about this the better we have of coming up with a
solution.

<snip>

> My work where I recover (if possible) and clean up Windows machines,
> then dual boot and introduce the users to a reliable world of Linux, is
> a mere pin prick in a sea of crashed, virus riddled computers.
> Obviously it is helping to spread the word but, at least it is a start.

I think this is more than a "pin prick".  The best way is to show people
their options and then trust them to make up their own minds.  If you
believe in Software Freedom, as I do, then I think you have to respect
someone's right to choose Windows.

The one area where I think we do need to do more is with the young.

At the last BCF I run up the potato guy game for a young girl after she
said she didn't like penguins (we where using the slogan "Get the power
of the penguin in your PC").  She like the game so much she asked if it
would work on Windows.  I of course told her it wouldn't, but went on to
explain how Knoppix was a live CD.  She when off to scrounge the money.

But the coolest part of all is when I told her of her rights as I handed
over the CD.  I told her that not only could she legally copy this CD
and give it to her friends but we encouraged her to do so.  Her face lit
up.  She thought that was "cool".

I am in no doubt that she gets Free Software, and she gets what DRM is
stopping her doing.  Not in the same legal way that you or I might as
adults, but she gets it in her own way.

Good thinking