[Sussex] My First Server...

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Sun Oct 15 08:56:17 UTC 2006

One of the perks of working for a large ISP is the existance of what
they call their 'dirty' LAN, effectively three 47u cabinets set aside
for staff use; with an associated block of IP addresses.  Provided
you're either exceptionally good, or work in what they consider a
skilled enough department (like my role in the NOC), you get the
possibility to use up to 4u of cab space with various provisos about not
using it for illegal activity or earning money through it blah, blah.
My slot has now been confirmed, and I've just aquired an old server
through flea-bay (amd 1.7ghz jobby, so ample fast enough for most purposes).
Now comes the fun part... Distro choosing for it.  I'm a Gentoo fan by
preference mainly because its the only distro I've not experienced major
hassles with getting specific stuff done on; but whilst the bandwidth
would be great for all the necessary source downloading, I just can't
think it would be justified on a server, nor do I want to spend that
long installing Gentoo whilst stuck inside one of our Docklands data
centres (too much noise).  Currently I'm thinking Ubuntu Server edition,
as a number of our platforms are increasingly Ubuntu based at the back end.
I'm not really experienced that much with Ubuntu, has anyone got any
links to decent wiki's for it?  I'm not wanting the 'corporate' line on
it, I'm looking for real world stuff :)
My other big like of Gentoo was that it only installed exactly what I
wanted, leaving a much smaller footprint, and no junk (one of the
reasons I don't like most Distros is that in an effort to distinguish
themselves from other distros they figure more packages by default =
better distro.)  Do folks have any other reccomendations for a Distro?
One thing I definately don't need is a GUI on it, given it'll be sitting
in a rack, and I dislike VNC!  SSH is all I need/want.  At the moment
I'm just thinking your typical LAMP + Exim setup for its primary
purpose, and possibly running a p/w protected CounterStrike Source
server for an occasional laugh with mates.

Paul G