[Sussex] firewalling/AV and kubuntu

John D. johnsemail at f2s.com
Mon Oct 16 19:29:48 UTC 2006

On Sunday 15 October 2006 22:56, Desmond Armstrong wrote:
> Surely there is no need to retain Windows for the digital photography,
> what is wrong with FLPhoto and with The Gimp and Picasa? No, there is no
> need to retain Windows, get her converted to Linux, much better, and it
> will be less hassle for you too.

You are, of course, right Desmond.

Therein, lies the problem. My aunt is addicted to some of the "home" type
adobe products (she paid real cash money - so wants to make sure that they
get some use).

I'd actually suggested linux a number of times previously, the only reason why
she decided that it'd be a good idea, was because when she got virused or
whatever happened, it was the son of a friend of hers (who happens to be
doing some sort of IT degree at Sussex) who cured the problem(s) and
explained the inherent added safety of a linux system - I'm not too sure that
he actually knows much about Linux as he said that he'd like to come and have
a look/go with it, when I'd finished installing it.

It also took some explaining that I'd made a FAT32 partition, so that she
could drag and drop photo's/images etc to and from the windows and linux to
be able to attach them/remove them from emails etc.

She is very conscientious about AV/firewall/etc etc, but she's in no way
technical - hence installing Kubuntu. Which, if the reviews etc are correct,
should prove relatively straight forward to manage, with minimal "phone
support", but I'll keep up the nagging.

regards

John D.

p.s. Oh and after some more looking/reading etc, it appears that it will be
better if she has a software firewall - so I'm going to check out both
firestarter and guarddog. I'm unsure what is the Kubuntu default might be at
the moment though.