[Sussex] Flash 9 for Linux (beta)

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Oct 20 07:19:24 UTC 2006

John

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 23:35 +0100, John Crowhurst wrote:
> On Thu, October 19, 2006 22:26, Steven Dobson wrote:
> > All
> >
> > On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 21:31 +0100, John Crowhurst wrote:
> >> Adobe have just pushed out their pre-release of Flash 9 for Linux,
> >> Windows
> >> and Mac here:
> >> http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html
> >
> > This is an perfect example of non-free software on Linux.
>
> No its not, its an example of closed source software on Linux.

Closed source is a subset of non-free.

> > The Linux player is for 32-bit 80386 and compatables only.  So if you're
> > running Linux or an SPARC/MIPS/PowerPC/... processor then you're out of
> > luck.  No support for you.
>
> Bear in mind that this is a beta release, if enough people ask for other
> platforms, then they might provide for them.

I doubt that Adobe will release a version of every platform that Linux
will run on.

> Much that it would be nice, I doubt Adobe would provide open source to
> this product, nor any of their products in the same way Microsoft will
> never do with their Office suite.

Agreed.

> > Stand up for Freedom - don't down load this player.  Stick to standard
> > web protocols that can be used by all.
>
> This is not a stand for Freedom, its a move against it. People are "free"
> to download this program and use it how they see fit. They can now upgrade
> the flash in their browsers and watch what the Windows and Mac world
> already see.

I could not disagree more.  In a free socity one can always choose a
non-free option.  For example:  In the Chinese Revolution the side that
won was "free" to choose what ever form of government they wanted.
Would you say that the People's Replublic of China is a free socity?

> The real problem is there is no open source application that rivals Flash.
> If there was something that could do animation, user interaction and
> movies in an interactive form in one package that is light and easy to
> develop in, use and was open source and free then Flash would be dead.

Maybe, maybe not.  How long do you think MS Office formats have left now
there is a free alternative?

Please note that I do not object to a proproprity, closed source
implementation of an open standard.  That has happened with PDF format.
Adobe could then charge for their Linux version and I still would not
object.