[Sussex] Re: Sourcing list of hardware

Desmond Armstrong desmond.armstrong at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 13:32:35 UTC 2006

>>Ps.  These days there seems to be a lot of talk about viruses/worms and
>>such like.  Is it worth installing a linux anti-virus solution just in
>>case?
>>
>>Just thought I'd ask.

I have AVG www.grisoft.com installed.
Every time I boot up the machine it is updated (provided the router is
up and running).
However it is not running in background nor is it activated by email etc.
But, on those occasions I do receive an email containing virus (anything
suspicious) I use (it) to identify (by name) and then report the
offender. Of course you can scan anything including the whole machine. I
also use it to scan USB connected Windows HDs.

The admin of AVG is the responsibility of root but it can be used easily
by any normal user.
My system (Mandriva) comes with ClamAV but that only updates when I do
updates manually.
Both systems are there and can be used at any time.
I also have f-prot which is administered in a terminal (with root
priviledge)
So I currently do have 3 systems but they are only ever used when requested.

Certainly there are not any nasties that can hurt us, but keep the
defences up, because although the system remains 'secure by design'
don't assume anything.
I was just reading about Vista (PC Pro December edition) and am saddened
to  see that the MS's philosophy of 'open by design for viruses' remains.

Now,   why did Apple change to a UNIX model?

Just as a point, I had not set the user access password to my router and
was amazed a few days ago to find that someone had actually hacked into
it and had changed my password to my broadband. Just imagine if I had
been using MS, I would still be recovering my system today.
Also do have a look at the articles on the news.bbc.co.uk, do a search
for 'honeypot', mandatory reading for anyone using computers.