[Sussex] PSU gone, new installed computer refuses to boot [Scanned]

Grant Snelling grant.snelling at gkscomputers.co.uk
Mon Sep 25 20:10:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

Hope this may be of interest to you or any of the list members...... ?!?

One thing to check for on the m-board are the capacitors. We are seeing
more and more 'weird errors' which more often than not end up being
failed or failing capacitors.

A visual check is normally all that's needed - open the case and look at
the top of all of the capacitors. If any of them 'domed' and/or been
leaking {normally seen as a crust on the top} then you've got a suspect
board. We've found that some boards can have most of them looking very
sick and still work yet other boards may only have one of two are do
some very strange things !

I'd also recommend checking your graphics card has we've seen blown caps
on these too.

This isn't just non-branded pc's we are seeing this on, but many branded
units. Some Dell Optiplex's seem have got a big problem with them - had
to get their engineers to replace three last week, all failed due to bad
caps. One unit was less than fours months old......and yes all of these
units were protected by anti-surge plug units.

Grant

Grant Snelling
Director

E-mpower.IT